Happy New Year. This week I start 2 new residencies. As always I am excited and scared. I never get used to meeting new students and always have the jitters. Age has perfected my on top of it teacher facade. This year I am doing another big messy public art like project in Warren NJ. I will be working with special needs teenagers building a high relief mural.
I often feel like I am the only teaching artist in NJ that does these projects that require scale shop drawings, budgets,and material lists to be approved by building staff to meet code. This school got it right in getting these things out of the way in the beginning. I have had a few projects that did not and I left the residency without an installation because of building approvals. We started planning in September and are just now ready to dive in. The drawing lays out a basic template for our design. Student input will determine what it will actually look like within those parameters. I have found that it is very important with special needs kids to have a concrete clear simple plan to follow. I have also found that it helps with all schools to have a preplanned template to improv from. The key is to listen,be open to what is happening, and feel free enough to change it up if you see something great or it isn’t working. I try really hard to be a facilitator not a prima dona artist. My second residency is an after school program in Vineland doing stopmotion…with 3 Ipads. I have been so inspired by the ipadartroom.com website but her kids all have Ipads. I am still working on having a few Ipads with kids that are so hungry to play with them.
So like I always say…Let the fun begin!
This week I put the totem together in the garden. It’s cold now and the garden is covered in leaves and we can’t take kids outside. It does look great though. I put the sections together with landscape adhesive and shimmed it level as I added parts. I have never never used construction adhesive to join this kind of thing so it will be interesting to see how it holds up. In the spring it will get grouted between the parts or taken apart if the adhesive fails and mortared together.
I finished the grouting at home today. Grouting can be so time sensitive. If you clean it too early you remove grout and too late and it becomes hard to clean. Today I was lucky and got it just right. I mixed grey Portland cement today since I’ve been working with it on my own projects. The proportion I use is one part Portland to 3 parts yellow sand. You can use commercial grout unless you have big spaces between tiles. When the tiles dry and lighten I rub off grout with a dry sanding sponge. Then I use a wet sponge that has been rung out and not too wet. The last step is to use a dry towel to polish the tiles a bit and then you are done. The grout can be stained with diluted acrylics if needed or you can add powder or liquid color to the mix. I will color the base once it drys. The doves still need to be filled out with a white Portland cement and white sand mix. It is harder to find but the very fine bright white sand sometimes used in ashtrays is my favorite. Next I will put a foundation in the garden and install in the Bancroft garden. I can’t wait!
I hope to revisit school projects this year to see how they look today. I worked in an after school program for several years on a small garden. We started in 2009. Students designed and I helped build these sculptures. Landis is no longer a school but looks like a construction site today. It is a historic building so it is being renovated in some way for a new purpose. Trailers were removed so one side of the garden is open now. Flourishing weeds surround the sculpture. It has faded but still looks good. Alphonso the squirrel still greets whoever comes by. To see the garden at the height of it’s glory check it out at sjmoc.com/community/Landis’09